Wednesday 19 December 2012

Are Rats Inferior to Humans, Socially? A Thought . . .

I taught my dog not to kill things on the spot. She used to stay still even though her energy could tangibly spill over any second, and then look up into my eyes. I need but flick a finger and she would kill. If I told her to stop mid-flow she would. Humans also learn about actions and consequences (punishments). Is it the ability to resist our instincts, the ability to learn to resist our instincts, or the ability to teach others to resist their instincts that sets us apart from "beasts"? None, because animals can resist their instincts (I wouldn't say all animals, but the division is not drawn between us and certain animals (mammals) like rats but much further down into the animal kingdom), so animals can clearly learn to resist, and of course animals chastise their young to make them resist their instincts.

If animals couldn't resist certain instincts (even sexual) their societies (hierarchies) would break down or spill over into perpetual violence.

I don't know much of rat behaviour but I assume that when they collect into groups they do have a pecking order. Which would suggest subordinates are forced to learn how to resist their instincts and tow the line?

No comments:

Post a Comment